So here is the deal: I did not go to Bali just to eat, as this post and this post seem to have suggested.
Instead, I was there to attend a wedding, a very beautiful one if I may add.
It may not have started perfectly. It rained heavily and the venue for the vows had to be moved from a beautiful spot by the beach to a sheltered open hut. (And I arrived extremely late that I missed the saying of the vows, but the bride and groom do not have to know this. For a valid reason though since my hairdresser was an hour late!). But as the afternoon and the night progressed, it just got better.
After the ceremony, there were cocktails and canapes, which were amazing. I did not even know what cocktails I had and did not bother asking, but they were really good and the appetizers tasty. Not much good picture from the first part and this was the best one that I got.
After that came my favourite part: the wedding reception. It was set in a beautiful tent with a row of 6 tables (I think), each table decorated with beautiful flower arrangement. The whole setup together with the fairy lights surrounding it created a very dreamy atmosphere.
Food was excellent as well. I had a starter of soft shell crab and chose chicken as my main course. I really don’t know why Chinese weddings need to have 10 courses when 2 courses (plus a chocolate buffet dessert) could feed the guests sufficiently? Just saying.
Anyway, I’m actually very proud that I remember to take pictures of ALL the dishes, including the dessert, that I just have to show them off here.
Please don’t judge me by the next picture, but this is what happens when you put me in front of a chocolate buffet selection. And I actually finished them all.
Okay, enough about the food. I think you’ve got my point that my stomach and I were extremely happy during the wedding reception.
For the rest of the night, I will let my pictures speak for me.
First up, the first dance.
With a little twist at the end.
Next is my picture with the lovely bride. I wish I took picture with the bride AND the groom together. Sometimes I simply forget to do the obvious.
The last picture below is hands down my favourite picture from the night. I feel rather proud for capturing the moment.
This was by far the best wedding that I have attended. The whole sequence was simple, the decorations were very classy and not flashy, and the wedding was small enough that everyone could mingle and interact with each other. I really can’t imagine wanting to have my own wedding any other way.
Tips to attend a destination wedding:
- Book your accommodation close to the wedding venue for the days before AND after the wedding.
- Arrange your transport to and from the wedding venue in advance. You don’t want to be late because you can’t flag a taxi and in case the wedding ends really late, you don’t have to worry about getting back to your hotel.
- Book your hairdresser in advance and have it scheduled HOURS before with buffer time. Otherwise you will miss the actual wedding ceremony, like me.
- Plan your exact outfit, from the dress, the accessories, the shoes. Do try them on before you travel to make sure the whole combination works. Do bring one backup outfit just in case, but make sure that it goes with the shoes that you are bringing (shoes take up space so try bringing only one pair of fancy ones).
- Come at least one day before the wedding and not on the day itself. In case of any fashion disaster, you still have time to fix things.
- Go with an open mind and enjoy yourself thoroughly!
EDIT: Due to popular demand, I will also include my supposedly award-winning shot of the first dance, taken with my mobile and edited with Snapseed and Instagram. Since it is not very often that I was demanded to show off, I shall oblige. Thank you for liking it.
One thought on “A beautiful wedding.”
hey there, I am loving your recent post!
I have blogged about 10 good things of traveling alone,
here’s the link
what do you think are the pros and cons of traveling all by yourself?
would be so nice to hear from you! 🙂
deanna ( http://www.talkaboutbeauty.wordpress.com )